Sunday, April 29, 2007

Writing: Breaking the Ice

It occurred to me that although this blog is ostensibly at least partially devoted to the craft of writing romance, Relena and I have not made any posts about our own writing. I thought I'd break the ice, though of the two of us Rel is the more dedicated, prolific, and talented writer.

I've written for a good part of my life, but I didn't start getting into writing romance until after I started reading it in high school. I met Relena around the same time, and while I when through sporadic bursts of creative energy, Relena's writing really took off around this point, possibly because I gave her the audience she had lacked (and all the positive reinforcement she could want -- I love her writing). I have yet to complete any fictional novel or short story I have begun, which is a pretty poor track record, but I'm working on it. I have had more success with poetry and life writing, which has gotten pretty good feedback from my small circle of reviewers.

I'm working on a romance novel at the moment, and I'm about 25,000 words in, with another 5,000 - 10,000 words of add-ins that I plan to work in during the editing process. It's not really much yet, but it's the most I've done so far, and I'm really excited about it. It would be so wonderful to publish a novel, though I don't think I'd want to be a full-time romance writer -- after watching "Who's Afraid of Happy Endings?" I was more than a little intimidated by the competitiveness within the genre.

I'm thinking about posting my life writing and poetry and linking it to this site, but I need to figure out where I want to put it, and I need to go through the life writing and change names, so it might be a while. I'm much more focused on what I'm writing now than on going back over what I have written.

No comments: