Monday, May 14, 2007

Let's Talk Romance: Falina's Current Top Five Angsty Love Songs

I'd hate for anyone to think that I confine my love of romance purely to literature. I'm hoping to eventually review films here, and right now I'm going to list my current favourite love songs, with my favourite quotes from them. So, in no particular order...

1. Hinder - Lips of an Angel

My girl's in the next room,
Sometimes I wish she was you


That line is pretty much the only reason I like this song. I used to really be bothered by the concept of infidelity, in films and lyrics and otherwise, but I'm beginning to consider it a useful plot tool.

2. John Mayer - I Don't Trust Myself

No I'm not the man I used to be lately
See, you met me at an interesting time
And if my past is any sign of your future
You should be warned before I let you inside

Hold onto whatever you find baby
Hold onto whatever will get you through
Hold onto whatever you find baby
I don't trust myself with loving you


Oh, John Mayer and I have had a torrid relationship. I loved his early live stuff, hated the CD versions, hated him, his image, and his last couple of albums, and now I'm loving some of his newer stuff, like this (I'm assuming it's new) and "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room." He just got a sexy new haircut that makes him look vaguely like a cross between James Dean and Johnny Depp, too. I have the live version of this song, and I love his sexy, smoky voice.

3. Tegan and Sara - My Number

He grabs me by the hand, drags me to the shore
And says 'Maybe you don't love me, or you'll grow to love me even more'
And I, I'm not surprised


I'm currently trying to find some older and less tinny songs by Tegan and Sara. I don't enjoy their "Walking With a Ghost" style. I prefer their more earthy tunes, like this one, "Hype," and "Divided."

4. Chris Isaak - Wicked Games

And I don't want to fall in love
No I don't want to fall in love, with you


This song is a classic, and so angsty. I read Isaak's interpretation of this song described as "bewildered", and I like that. Bewildered and tortured. Mmm.

5. Ani Difranco - Your Untouchable Face

To tell you the truth I prefer the worst of you
Too bad you had to have a better half
She's not really my type, but I think you two are forever
And I hate to say it, but you're perfect together

So fuck you, and your untouchable face
And fuck you, for existing in the first place
And who am I, that I should be vying for your touch
'Said who am I, I bet you can't even tell me that much


I fell in love with Ani Difranco just a few hours ago...I hadn't really heard anything by her before tonight. She's brilliant. Her voice is so vibrant and colourful, and her lyrics are some of the best I've ever heard.

No comments: