Sunday, June 3, 2007

Review: Romancing the Stone

Title: Romancing the Stone
Author: Joan Wilder a.k.a Catherine Lanigan
Genre/Subgenre: Romance/Adventure
Part of a Series? No

When I checked this book out of the library, I was delighted with its possibilities -- imagine, a romance novel that parodies romance novels! I had dreams of it becoming a key text in my future career as a professor specializing in romance fiction.

I was somewhat disappointed with Romancing the Stone, but only, I think, because my expectations were so high. The novel does parody romance novel conventions, to the point where I laughed out loud more than once, especially in the first few pages, which are an "excerpt" from Joan Wilder's newest novel (the heroine is a romance novelist). Overall, however, Romancing the Stone took itself more seriously than I expected, despite the "this is no romance novel"-type refrains from the heroine. The specific "jungle adventure" romance stereotype is not one I have had much experience with myself.

Taken as a straightforward romance novel, Romancing the Stone is amusing, saved from corny conventionality by funny dialogue and the self-serving attitudes of the hero and heroine. Viewed as a parody of romance, it is interesting and worthy of further study, as well as a way to notice and laugh at the conventions of romance while enjoying them at the same time. I haven't seen the film version, but I imagine it's something like the Indiana Jones movies in style and humour, and I'm hoping to rent it if I can find it.

No comments: