Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Review: Tempt the Devil

Title: Tempt the Devil
Author: Connie Mason
Publisher/category: Leisure Books
Genre/Subgenre: Historical Romance
Part of a Series? No

When it comes to Tempt the Devil, what I'm really tempted to do is blame the editor -- grammatical errors are my biggest problem with this novel. Comma splices abound, as do periods where there should be question marks. There are also way too many adverbs, and they make the dialogue feel wooden and amateur. Over and above these glaring problems, the whole book is just a little cheesy, as well.

These easily fixable problems are particularly disappointing because there are a lot of aspects of the book that are really cool -- Mason, cheesiness aside, does a good job creating angel/devil, heaven/hell binaries that I really enjoyed. The hero's called Diablo, but he has a hideaway on an island called Paradise. The heroine is, of course, angelic. There are lots of wonderful lines like "Take me to heaven" (I'm sure you can figure out what kind of scene that came from). I think those good/evil, light/dark-type binaries are in a lot of romance novels, but not so obviously as in Tempt the Devil. There is also a great scene near the beginning of the book where Diablo is about to be hanged and he throws his head back and laughs -- it is very, well, diabolical, and also very sexy. The heroine thought so too!

1 comment:

Laura Vivanco said...

It sounds a shame about the editing.

It seems to me that novels with really extreme dichotomies work best when the reader is swept away by the story,fully suspending disbelief. Unfortunately my suspended disbelief tends to come crashing down when I'm annoyed by poor editing.